|Description of the project
The “SYZEFXIS” project implements the network of the public administration which will connect all the bodies of the public sector (hospitals, social insurance funds, libraries etc), the public administration and local authority with broadband networks for their internal communication so as to be able to provide all citizens and enterprises access, via the Internet, to all the services of the public administration without digital exclusions.
The “SYZEFXIS” project is a typical project of providing telecommunication and telematic services of big range and scale since it covers all the Greek territory with presence in approximately 1,800 points.
It concerns bodies of the Greek public sector, the needs of which are not restricted to simple telephone connections, but they are expanded including advanced voice, data and picture services.
Such bodies (65 in total) are:
The number of final clients is big (approximately 1,800) and each one of them is connected to the services of the project only with its central building. The bodies are spread all over the country. The distribution network numbers approximately 120-180 distribution/ collection hubs (Points of Presence: PoPs) in total and the ration is 2-3 PoPs per prefecture of the country.
“SYZEFXIS” provides advanced telematic services and value added services: advanced telephony and fax services, calls to/ from fixed and mobile telephones as well as telephony for abroad, access to the Internet with all the related services, teleconference, tele-training, remote access services (tele-work), certification and electronic transaction security services (infrastructure of public key) etc. The provision of single prices for telephone calls outside “SYZEFXIS” (local –long distance – mobile – international) follows the international practice while the telephone calls inside “SYZEFXIS” are provided rate-free.
The objective of “SYZEFXIS” is the provision of Internet services and not infrastructures while it applies the logic of providing services at the level of services with pre-agreed qualitative and quantitative characteristics (Service Level Agreement).
The single, effective and efficient management of the expenses of the Greek public sector for telecommunication services was dealt with in the framework of the aggregation of demand and the implementation of the project was approached with 9 sub-projects, 7 of which are clearly projects of telecommunication interest while the other 2 concern the information technology and services market meeting the security and digital certificates needs as well as tele-training issues in the field of the Greek public administration:
1. Subproject 1 (ATTICA-1): Area 1 (Ministries, general secretariats, managing authorities and army offices –services located in the region of Attica).
2. Subproject 2 (ATTICA -2): Area 2 (The region of Attica, the local government bodies of the 1st and 2nd degrees and the Citizen Service Centres of the region of Attica as well as the hospitals and health centres of the same region).
3. Subproject 3 (PREFECTURE OF THESSALONIKI): Area 3 (The bodies of the four categories belonging to the prefecture of Thessaloniki).
4. Subproject 4 (CRETE): Area 4 (The bodies of the four categories belonging to the region of Crete).
5. Subproject 5 (NORTHERN GREECE): Area 5 (The bodies of the four categories belonging to the regions of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace, Western Macedonia, Central Macedonia (with the exception of the bodies of the prefecture of Thessaloniki), Northern Aegean, Thessaly and Sterea Ellada [Continental Greece]).
6. Subproject 6 (SOUTHERN GREECE): Area 6 (The bodies of the four categories belonging to the regions of the Ionian Islands, Epirus, Western Greece, the Peloponnese and Southern Aegean).
7. Subproject 7: Backbone network.
8. Subproject 8: Training management.
9. Subproject 9: Public Key Infrastructure service
The budget of the project is approximately 75.5 m€, 70 m€ of which concern the technical part of the project, while 5.5 m€ the training part in the “SYZEFXIS” services.
|Development of the project
All the subprojects of SYZEFXIS have been contracted and there is only a small pending issue in subproject 8, the training management. More specifically, approximately 52 m€ have been contracted. The services of the network are expected to start being offered within the next 24 months with an operational operation schedule of 36 months. The needs of the Greek public sector will be met for more than thee years for which this phase of the project is tendered.
|Results of the project
The following are included in the results of the project:
- The modernization and improvement of the operation of the Greek public administration bodies (implementation of the model of e-government) with the provision of advanced telematic services and added value services as well as the training in the framework of upgrading the human resources both as regards the use of information technology systems as well as the acquisition of basic skills in the use of new technologies.
- The effective utilisation of the information technology systems of the Greek public sector bodies through the operational interconnection of these systems, the installation of a hierarchic servers’ network and the management of the final users in the closed environment logic.
- The exploitation of alternative information sources and the avoidance of overlapping – repetitions in data bases and network facilities.
- The effective management of the data transfer of the Greek public sector bodies and the central and allocated support of telematic applications.
- The cost reduction of the communication among the Greek public sector bodies with a simultaneous increase in the speed and security of the data transfer.
- The unified upgrading of the services provided for the citizen through automated and user-friendly information services and services of concluding transactions with the Greek public services.
- The quick and easy search of information by the citizen which have as a source bodies of the Greek public sector.
- The improvement of serving the citizen, especially for procedures which require involvement of more than one bodies having the provision of one-stop services as the final objective.
- The utilisation of the possibilities offered by the liberalization of telecommunications and the development of alternative implementation and financing ways for telecommunication projects.
- The decrease of the “digital gap” in the framework of the information society.
- At the same time, along with the implementation of the project, the aim is the development of the information and communication industry in an environment of healthy competition and the complete utilisation of the investments on information and communication technologies. A big project, such as SYZEFXIS, is expected to influence the telecommunications market, mainly in the field of providing broadband services.
- Furthermore, another benefit is the fact that the contractor of each one of the 7 subprojects of telecommunication nature will consolidate his/her position in the field of broadband services acquiring a big comparative advantage so as to prevail in the market of these services and will be promoted to an important factor of the telecommunication market in the area of activation.